Feta and Broccoli Patties
What works best for me at University is to have a combination of quick, easy dinners and make-ahead options that I can put together at the weekend and eat during the week. And these feta and broccoli patties just happen to be both quick and easy and ideal for making in advance and eating later. They’re delicious and super quick to make with little mess and washing up.
What I also love about this recipe is that it is very easy to mix it up based on your personal taste and what you have left over. Use a different cheese, different vegetable, different spices or seasoning, even a different grain. Breadcrumbs could also be a great substitute for the oats. Grated courgette patties are equally as yummy - just make sure you squeeze out the excess liquid before mixing it into the rest of the ingredients.
This recipe serves 2.
1/2 head of medium broccoli
1/4 cup frozen peas
1/2 a white onion, finely chopped
1/4 cup oats
1 medium free-range egg
1/4 cup feta
1tbsp nutritional yeast
1. Pre-heat the oven to 180 degree Celsius, (I use a fan oven) and line a baking tray with grease proof paper.
2. Steam the broccoli, in a steamer or a pan of boiling water, for approximately 3-4 minutes until it starts to soften but still has a crunchy texture.
3. Remove the broccoli from the heat and rinse with cold water to stop it going too soft.
4. Bring a pan of water to the boil; add in the onion and frozen peas. Cover and simmer for 5 minutes.
5. Again, remove from the heat and rinse with cold water.
6. Chop the broccoli into small pieces.
7. In a large bowl, mix the chopped broccoli, peas, onion, eggs, feta and nutritional yeast. Stir well until all of the ingredients have combined.
8. Add in the oats a little at a time, stirring after each addition of oats. Add more depending on how sticky your mixture is looking until the ingredients stick together reasonably well.
9. Using your hands, form similar sized patties out of the mixture. I find it easiest to make balls and then flatten them on the tray. The ingredients should make 4 large patties or 5 smaller ones.
10. Bake in the oven for approximately 15 minutes, or until the patties start to turn a golden colour.
11. Remove from the oven and serve. Then enjoy!
I served my patties with baby new potatoes and roasted pepper; however sweet potato or quinoa for example and alternative vegetables would work equally as well.