Fragrance Photoshoot Reflection
As part of my current module, we had the opportunity to undertake a photoshoot to form our outcomes for our fragrance brand that we created as a team. Our photoshoot was in a studio based environment with a professional photographer. The idea for our shoot was to create the appearance of an immersive experience; transporting the consumer to different locations around the globe through the use of light and colour.
Concepts (narrative, message, theme)
We used our two models’ body parts (hands, legs/feet, etc) to create conceptual images, rather than the photographs being obviously travel related. Our underlying message is freedom and representing self-discovery and exploration. The coloured acetate over the lights created a coloured glow over the models, helping to reinforce the experiential factor of the brand and the different locations our products are based on. The shots where the models were intertwined hopefully help to reinforce the social element to travel and the opportunity to cross paths with different people’s lives and different cultures. In post production, we hope to use maps and train tickets to subtlety enhance the travel concept.
Reflection of the Shoot
Overall, I feel that our photoshoot for the fragrance project went well and the outcomes turned out almost better than I had expected. I didn’t realise how quickly the hour would go; our time slot was over before I knew it.
During the planning process, we didn’t really have a clear idea of what we wanted to achieve. We all created some moodboards to inspire the shoot; however there was no real focus. We noticed that on a few of our boards, the Chroma yoga lighting and immersive experiences came up repeatedly and therefore we chose to pursue this idea. We also had too many ideas for the props that we wanted to use. We played with the idea of origami to reflect our packaging concept, however we didn’t think this would appeal to our Millennial target audience. We also considered using a map somehow within the photographs, possibly with the models piercing a hole in the centre. Other props we brought along were string, mini pegs and train tickets. We intended to hang the tickets on the string and tie/wrap this around the models’ bodies, however we didn’t have time to try this.
Before the shoot, we purchased pieces of acetate to help create the colour tint effect. However, when we arrived, there were more lights than expected and we only had once piece of A3 acetate of each colour. This meant that we had to spend a bit of time working out possible ways to combat this.
I feel that we could have also improved on organisation. Two members of my group, including myself, met a couple of days before the shoot to talk though and finalise our idea. However we found this quite challenging because the other two weren’t there to help in the discussion and decision making process. Similarly on the day, we arranged to meet half an hour before the start of our time slot to talk through everything and ensure we all were prepared but two members didn’t turn up until five or ten minutes before and the last member and the models arrived exactly on our time to start. I wish we had had longer to set up and brief the models.
Our model selection really complemented our overall idea; they contributed to the edgy, Millennial feel and added an additional layer of interest into our shoot. They both have very striking appearances and helped to add impact; they were also very natural in front of the camera and needed little direction, which was an added bonus.
Although we had the initial problems with the lights and the coloured film, we worked with the photographer to create a solution in which we could utilise multiple colours at one time to create a multi-colour experience. The primary colours were dominant and really captured the looked we were hoping for. The colours added an additional dimension and gave added depth to the final outcomes. We similarly made the transition between colours smooth and efficient.
I am happy with the photographic results and I feel that as a group, we can create some interesting overall outcomes to help support our brand and idea.Below I have inserted some of the outcomes from the shoot.